WSL | Manchester City 2-1 Everton

Manchester City overcame a resilient Everton side as they emerged 2-1 winners in their Continental Cup match at the Academy Stadium.

The first effort of the game saw Isobel Christiansen drill a hard effort into the hands of Everton goalkeeper Kirsty Levell from 25 yards.

Minutes later Claire Emslie released Nikita Parris with a perfectly weighted through ball but her effort flashed wide of the post.

On 12 minutes City went closer still as a low corner found Abbie McManus, her flicked on header found Jenny Beattie but her header was cleared off the line by the player on the post.

Everton, having weathered the early storm, responded as Claudia Walker was allowed to travel from inside her own half with her low bouncing effort well saved from Karen Beardsley, playing her first football since breaking her leg at the European Championships.

The deadlock was broken on 25 minutes as a long ball over the top from Steph Houghton from inside her own half picked out the unmarked Isobel Christiansen who cushioned her header into the bottom right hand corner.

The onslaught failed to materialise as Everton regrouped limiting City to efforts from range and set pieces. The best chance of the first half coming on 38 minutes as Jen Beattie looped a header onto the roof of the net from a Georgia Stanway corner.

City were quickest out of the blocks in the second half as Jill Scott saw a delightful 20 yard dink clip the top of the crossbar

City were more subdued in the opening 20 minutes of the second period; happy to retain possession as they looked for a way through a compact Everton backline. They almost found a way on 65 minutes when Nikita Parris lashed a shot against the top of the bar after being picked out by Christiansen.

On 72 minutes Kirsty Levell came to Everton’s rescue as she dived full stretch to her right to tip a Jen Beattie header round the post following a City corner. Everton took full advantage of the reprieve as Chloe Kelly’s free kick was superbly headed home by Simone Magill to draw the Toffee’s level.

City responds almost immediately as Jill Scott header forced a point blank save from Levell following a terrific cross from Demi Stokes. There would be no mistake a second time when, on 79 minutes, Scott knocked down the impressive Claire Emslie’s cross allowing Nikita Parris to tap in on the line.

The tireless Parris almost added her second on 85 minutes when she latched onto a loose backpass and tried to catch out Levell with a chip but the Everton keeper managed to push it wide. From the corner substitute Megan Campbell went closer still is her effort was toed off the line by Faye Bryson.

However City were well worthy of their victory as they maintained their 100% start to the season.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.