UWCL | Manchester City 2-1 LSK Kvinner

The first chance of the game fell on two minutes as Nikita Parris drove forward playing a nice pass into the path of Jill Scott who forced a strong block from the legs of Kvinner goalkeeper Cecilie Fiskerstrand at her near post.


City went even closer on eight minutes as a Steph Houghton header was tipped onto the inside of the post by Fiskerstrand from a City corner.


City continued their early pressure as a terrific through pass inside the full back from Megan Campbell released Demi Stokes down the left whose cross found Claire Emslie at the far post but she could only direct it into the keepers hands. Stokes went close herself on 14 minutes as she was released down the left one-on-one with the keeper but her touch was heavy allowing Fiskerstrand to make the save at her near post.


Kvinner took the lead against the run of play on 17 minutes as they broke down the left with a decisive through pass to Emilie Haavi whose first time cross found Marte Berget unmarked who slotted home off the outstretched toe of Ellie Roebuck.


City came close to responding on 22 minutes when the visitors failed to clear a corner allowing Keira Walsh an effort at goal but the newly called up midfielder could only land her effort onto the roof of the net. The chances continued to come as Stokes fired a cross to the far post but the unmarked Parris failed to put her header on target.


City were given another let off on 32 minutes as they surrendered possession deep inside their own half allowing Guro Reiten to curl one just round the post from the edge of the area.


City again struggled to find a way past the stubborn Kvinner defence as Izzy Christiansen saw a half volley cleared off the line from a Megan Campbell through before Keira Walsh saw her curled effort pushed away from goal. Despite chances falling to both Christiansen and Scott, the latter of whom fired over from a good possession, the champions went into the break behind.


The deadlock was broken two minutes into the second half as Claire Emslie latched onto a ball down the right doing brilliantly well to steer it into the path of Parris whose pass found the unmarked Christiansen who finished confidently inside the side netting.


City’s momentum was halted on 50 minutes when Megan Campbell was stretched off following a serious injury; it was a bitter blow for the Irish international who’d only recently returned to the starting line-up following a serious injury in City’s title winning season.


Kvinner took advantage of the stoppage to regroup and almost retook the lead on 66 minutes when a corner was whipped to the near post and a flick on by Synne Skinnes Hansen was tipped onto the bar by Roebuck in the City goal.


City took the lead on 72 minutes when a low cross from Mel Lawley was pulled back to the edge of the six yard post allowing Parris to finish beyond the keeper at her near post.


From that the point the game fizzled out as both sides were reduced to half chances although Roebuck was called into action to push a whipped Haavi free kick round the post on 87 minutes. However City were worthy winners as they eased comfortably, in the end, unto the next round.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.