ROUND-UP | Four games survive the weather as Chester and Curzon Ashton register victories

Header Image Credit: Alison Greenwood

SSE Women’s FA Cup

As covered live on Saturday Manchester City were the first team to book their place into the fifth round of the FA Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win over Women’s National League side Watford.  The goals came from a Nikita Parris brace and Pauline Bremer. You can read our match report from the game HERE.

You can also read Manager Nick Cushing’s post-match comments HERE

A Lauren James brace, either side of a Siobhan Chamberlain penalty save, saw Manchester United win their fist ever FA Cup tie away to WSL side Brighton & Hove Albion. The draw for the fifth round will be made at 6:30pm on Monday evening with the majority of the ties still yet to be played.

Premier Division

FC United of Manchester moved up to fourth with a 3-0 derby win at home to Manchester Stingers.  The home side were a goal up inside 2 minutes as Jess Battle scored from a narrow angle at the near post.  Stingers proved significant resistance and it wasn’t until the 66th minute FC doubled their lead when Battle added her second.  The third goal came courtesy of Aime O’Keefe who tapped home from six yards in the final minute.  Three points lifts FC United to fourth whilst Manchester Stingers drop to eighth.

The Merseyside derby saw both Merseyrail and Mossley Hill Athletic who drew 1-1 at St John Bosco High School. Sophie Perry scored for the home side whilst Olivia Ellinson found the net for Mossley Hill.  Athletic are 5th whilst Merseyrail move up to 7th.


Division One South 

Photo Credit: Alison Greenwood

Chester welcomed Warrington Wolverines to the Ellesmere Sports Village with the hosts looking to take advantage of Altrincham, Liverpool Feds Reserves West Didsbury & Chorlton falling victim to the weather.  However despite Chester being forced to play an outfield player in goal they were thanks to goals from Amy Bromhead and Amber Bailey.  Three points for Chester lifts them to above Stockport County Blues into sixth and with five games remaining are in contention for a top half finish. The Wolverines have dropped to fifth place thanks to Curzon’s win against Wythenshawe Amateurs.

After the Amateurs resilience away to West Didsbury & Chorlton the following week they must have been hoping for better things when they opened the goalscoring away to Curzon Ashton.  Amy Smith responded for Curzon after Asleigh Morris and Mya Holmes combined to create the opening.  Smith added her second with a 40 yard effort to make it 2-1 before added her hat-trick inside 20 minutes with a 45 yard effort to make it 3-1.

Monique Pollard continued her positive start to life at her new club as she crossed home for Holmes to make it 4-1 before Paris Welsh made it 5-1.  Holmes made it 6-1 before half time with her second after Holly Espie’s run  In the second half Pollard supplied another goal as Espie got herself on the scoresheet before Aliza Angus rounded off the scoring to make it 8-1. The win lifted Curzon up to third, just four points off top spot whilst Wythenshawe remain bottom.



After Altrincham were forced to postpone their game against Warrington Wolverines last weekend due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’ the club announced that Manager Keith Edleston had left the club a few days later.  Chris Rowley was expected to lead the team for Sunday’s game against West Didsbury & Chorlton until the frozen conditions took hold which wiped out most of the regions games.


Division One North

No games survive the weather this weekend but there was two huge bits of news from around the Division.


A week after Crosby announced an affiliation with Marine FC broke the news that their open age team was withdrawing from Division One North of the NWWRFL after less than one season in the league.  Having been promoted in the summer Crosby’s record of 2 wins, 2 draws and a 2-point deduction from their 12 league games. Their record has been expunged reducing the division to 11 teams.



There was more positive news from the division, despite their being no games played, as Bury FC announced that they are to be formally incorporated into the football club with the first team to play their games at Gigg Lane moving forward.

Bury Manager Scott Johnson told; “Falling under the professional football club is a massive honour and a positive for the community to show both men’s and women’s football at The Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane, using the ethos of allowing youth an opportunity and playing attacking football. This is the start of a new era at Bury FC within the women’s game and it’s ideal for how we want to play our brand of football associated with the club.”

Captain Lucy Golding added; “Playing but also being the Captain is such a privilege for me, organising such a young side on the field and understanding the youth coming through is inspiring. Now to be part of Bury FC and to play in such a great stadium is a massive dream come true”

The Shakers’s first fixture at Gigg Lane will be Sunday 24th February against Workington Reds, 2pm kick off.


GMWFL Division Two

 Just one game survived the weather in the entire GMWFL as Swinton hosted Heyside in the first semi-final of the Division Two Cup.  The Division Two leaders Heyside were humbled as they were beaten 8-1 thanks to a pair of four goal hauls from Anna Broadie and Emma Cann.  They will face the winners of West Didsbury & Chorlton Development and Tameside United who will meet at Ewen Fields on Sunday 10th February.